Local biomass company answers your questions

Posted by on Mar 30, 2016 in Local services

Our client, Dryad Energy provide boiler servicing services for ETA and Froling biomass boilers which are more economic and eco-friendly than traditional gas or oil boilers.

Here are some common questions and answers about biomass boilers and stoves that Dryad install and service:

Boiler or stove, I’m confused

ETA, Froling and Grant Biomass Boilers can be installed in place of a standard boiler to heat radiators and for hot water. Stoves on the other hand, are used to heat a single room, usually in conjunction with other heating systems. A back boiler can be added to provide hot water. NB. Stoves are not eligible under the domestic RHI unless it is a pellet stove with a back boiler.

Chips, pellets or logs – which is best?

Chips – generally used to heat larger buildings or groups of houses.

Pellets – are much easier to use and much more controllable than logs and can run automatically in a similar way to gas or oil boilers. For ease, most of our pellet and chip burners use automatic fuel feeders, filling them at regular intervals.

Logs – you may need a lot of logs to heat a whole house, but they can be cheaper than pellets, especially if you have a good local supply.

Do I need permission?

You may not need planning permission, but you should check with your local authority. All new wood heating systems have to comply with building regulations.